Are you feeling stressed at work? Your “to-do” list is never-ending and your boss just piled a new stack of reports for you to review before the end of the week. If you’ve felt this way recently, you are not alone! WELCOA studies indicate 65% of US adults are stressed because of work.
We’ve put together our Top 5 ways on how to de-stress in the workplace.
- Hit the road, Jack… TAKE A WALK! A brief 10-15 minute walk a few times a week (especially in the afternoon) can do wonders for your mind. It gives you a few moments to step away from your overcrowded inbox (Oh, only 400 emails today?) and gather your thoughts. Whether it’s a few laps around your building or the block, just move!
- Y, M, C, A!… That’s right… you can keep moving even while you’re sitting at your desk. Better yet, everyone is a good dancer sitting down. Put a dance song over your PA and see what happens!
- Don’t Forget Your Headphones… We know those Dre Beats weren’t cheap. If you’re stuck in a cube all day, it’s easy to feel like the walls are closing in. Download Pandora or Spotify – anything where the words won’t distract you from the task at hand. Our personal favorite stations include: Mumford and Sons, Mendelssohn, and Bob Marley.
- Go Nuts… Studies indicate a handful (who are we kidding? Probably TWO handfuls) can help reduce stress.
- Be a Storyteller… Or listen to one! Take a 5 minute breather and chat with a coworker about something going on outside of work. Chances are many of your coworkers have kids or pets they are dying to tell a funny story about. Taking your mind off your work load for a minute to laugh every now and then.
And how NOT to de-stress:
- Light up… According to cancer.org, half of those who continue to smoke will die from a smoking-related illness. It’s easier said than done but check with your HR Department, there may be free resources available to you to help you quit and even better, employee rewards to motivate you to stay smoke-free.